I’m going to attempt to explain how to create a psd. Basically, it’s all about playing around with layers and colours, and you’ll end up with something you like or dislike. This isn’t a guide that tells you exactly how to, but an example as to how you can go about it to create a colouring/psd. Alright, let’s get started.
I’m using this photo of Jennifer Lawrence for this tutorial, you can use the same to try making your own psd.
02. Open up your photo in photoshop, crop to the size you want, add sharpening/topaz/any other effects you want to your photo. I’m using regular sharpen, Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen, and then adding on this action. Click. Here’s my edit so far.
03. Now for the colouring, if you have a dark photo, it might be smart adding a curves layer, Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves… But since this is already a bright photo, we won’t be using this. For my first layer, I am adding a dark fill layer. Go to Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color. Click ok on the box that appears. I am making the layer the colour #524844, and set blending mode to lighten. I reduce opacity to 64%. Here’s mine:
04. Now, add a selective colour layer. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Selective Color. Click ok. If you have a particularly red photo, you can choose red on this window.
But for this photo, I am going to pick Neutrals instead. Play around with the arrows until your edit looks like you want it. Here’s my window after toying around:
And my edit so far:
05. I’m now adding another fill layer, so repeat the process from step 03. I’m making this fill layer #e5d5cb, and set it to darken. As you can see, now it only looks unnatural, so change the opacity to 34%. Here’s mine:
06. Now I’m adding a vibrance layer. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Vibrance. This layer will enhance your colours, so be careful not to overuse it. I’m setting Vibrance to +26, and saturation to -5. Play around with it to your own liking though.
07. Add another fill layer (step 3). I am choosing the colour #0c1735 for this, and set it to blending mode Exclusion. You’ll see your edit will look a little yellow/blue. But it’s taking too much effect on the photo, so I’m setting the opacity to 47%.
08. If you want some more brightness to your edit, you can add curves, brightness/contrast, or play around with the levels layer. But for me, this edit is a little too yellow, so I’m going to add another fill layer. The colour is #819fa3, and I’ve set the blending option to Overlay, 37%.
09. If you still think your edit is a little too yellow (like I do), add a Color Balance Layer. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Color Balance. These are my settings when I’m done:
And my edit now looks like this:
10. The final touch to my edit is a Brightness/Contrast layer. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Brightness/Contrast. I toy around a little with my settings:
11. Now, add textures/patterns or whatever else you should want, and your edit is done.
Here is my result:
Just remember that making psds and colourings is all trial and error. You might make something that works for pretty much everything, or something that only works for the edit you are currently working on. Just toy around, try out different adjustment layers to find out how they all work, and you’ll be making psds all day. Try out different blending modes for your fill layers, as well as gradients, and just have fun with it. There is no right or wrong in colouring, as long as you like it. So go, play around, and I hope this tutorial helped you out :)
Have fun colouring!
- khaleesi-poppy likes this
- chudurr likes this
- micahismyname likes this
- somedayatschristmas likes this
- yourgirlcarmen likes this
- crystallofrp reblogged this from pezofrp
- pezofrp reblogged this from zaynsrph
- tri-two likes this
- incrediblemahone reblogged this from itsfinnick
- pondory likes this
- a-fictional-reality likes this
- iansmonsterpenis likes this
- amieeaplus likes this
- danhowcll likes this
- mrsmelark likes this
- teamxdelenax likes this
- doctoruugh likes this
- danhumphreyisbatman reblogged this from itsfinnick
- yumwesley likes this
- freshic0ns likes this
- niaachaan reblogged this from itsfinnick and added:
- niaachaan likes this
- silhouettedheart likes this
- atlantisheart likes this
- psbitch reblogged this from itsfinnick
- psbitch likes this
- cleverboyruns likes this
- thesilvercrowingfox likes this
- vraie likes this
- melanieblanco likes this
- anatomyofwords likes this
- laimjames likes this
- lenas-stylediary likes this
- lu-shixun likes this
- cheerbowsdance likes this
- vlad-theimpaler reblogged this from photoshopbabe
- ocean-motion1 likes this
- lovhinghelp likes this
- bringmethattardis likes this
- photoshopbabe reblogged this from itsfinnick
- kofikingst0n likes this
- alfredoflres likes this
- jonggett likes this
- lebiebah likes this
- every-story-has-an-ending likes this
- savanna-humewood likes this
- jedi-jessica likes this